Accessible Digital Publishing Resources
Many readers with print disabilities struggle to access books because, these days, most books are not created with them in mind.
The BPAA is committed to increasing the accessibility of Alberta books for readers, including those with print disabilities. Through the Accessible Digital Publishing Initiative, the BPAA is supporting member publishers to create increasingly accessible catalogues. Here, we provide a list of resources for publishers to learn about accessible digital publishing and born-accessible books.
General Resources for Publishers
- Accessiblepublishing.ca Resources for Publishers
- Here, you will find a list of resources geared specifically towards publishers about the creation of accessible ebooks, including best practices, tips for working with conversion houses, and how to audit your books for accessibility.
- Accessible Books Consortium (ABC) Accessible Publishing Resources
- ABC is a global organization lead by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). On their accessible publishing page, you’ll find a number of useful resources, including a Best Practices for Publishers document, which can be downloaded in a number of language at the bottom of the page.
EPUB3 and File Format Resources
- Accessible EPUB3 Book by Matt Garrish (O’Reilly Media Inc., 2012)
- The EPUB3 is the gold standard of accessible digital publishing. In his book (available for download from O’Reilly’s Media), Garrish provides practical tips and examples to guide you through the creation of a born-accessible EPUB3 publication.
- Top Tips for Creating Accessible EPUB3 Files by the Diagram Center
- Find the basic, must-know tips and tricks for creating accessible EPUB3 publications here.
- DAISY Consortium Pipeline 2
- The DAISY Pipeline 2 is an open-source desktop or web app for the processing of digital content in and between file formats. It can be used to create EPUB3 files.
Alt Text Resources
- NNELS Guide to Image Description
- This handy and guide lays out, in layman’s terms, what image descriptions and alternative texts are, and why they’re important. A must-read!