2021 Alberta Book Publishing Awards Now Open for Submissions
The BPAA is accepting submissions for the 2021 Alberta Book Publishing Awards through March 19, 2021.
Established in 1994, the Alberta Book Publishing Awards recognize and celebrate the best of the Alberta book publishing industry. The awards are adjudicated by experts and publishing professionals from across Canada, who select the very best examples of Alberta publishing.
This year we’re excited to announce the addition of two new awards: Graphic Novel of the Year and Regional Book of the Year. The Graphic Novel of the Year award will showcase the exceptional graphic novels released in Alberta each year, and the Regional Book of the Year Award will recognize books that celebrate, exemplify, or offer unique perspectives of Alberta. Titles of any genre can be submitted, and should integrate or explore the culture, peoples, places, history, or future of the province.
Publishers do not have to be members of the Book Publishers Association of Alberta (BPAA), but must meet the following guidelines to be eligible to receive an award:
A publisher will:
- have its chief office of business located in Alberta
- be at least 80% beneficially owned by Canadian citizens or landed immigrants,
- or be fully owned and controlled by Canadian institutions or associations that are 80% controlled by Canadian citizens or landed immigrants
- have effective managerial and editorial control by people domiciled in Alberta, and financial control in the hands of people living in Canada, and
- publish original Canadian books as a primary and not an occasional activity.
All submissions must have a publication date:
- no earlier than January 1, 2020
- no later than December 31, 2020
Revised editions are eligible if at least two of the following elements are included:
- significant changes in trim size or binding, or typesetting additions or changes to at least 20% of the text and significant graphic or illustrative changes beyond a new cover
- A description of the format and content changes, the release dates and publishers’ names for previous editions must be supplied.
Books may be entered in more than one category, and in any or all of the three (3) design categories.
Each publisher may submit up to three titles per award category.
Conditions and Process
Submissions must be received in full by March 19, 2021, including all supporting documentation and fees.
Submissions become the property of the BPAA and will not be returned, regardless of eligibility.
Submission fees are non-refundable.
The Alberta Book Publishing Awards are administered by the BPAA as a service to the publishing industry in Alberta.
Jurors are independent of the BPAA and all their decisions are final.
Eligible submissions in each award category will be adjudicated against the specific criteria for that category; criteria for each category is detailed on the submission form for that category. If a jury finds that no submissions in a category meet the criteria to receive an award no award shall be presented in that category.
Please see our Alberta Book Publishing Awards webpage for the full submission instructions, jury criteria, and forms.