2018 Alberta Book Publishing Awards
The annual Alberta Book Publishing Awards celebrate excellence in book publishing in Alberta. These are publishing awards, not literary awards. They are open to all Alberta publishers that meet the eligibility criteria.
Nominees for Alberta Book Publishing Awards need not be members of the Book Publishers Association of Alberta (BPAA) but must meet the following criteria to be eligible to win an award:
A publisher will:
1. have its chief office of business located in Alberta and:
- be at least 80% beneficially owned by Canadian citizens or landed immigrants, or be fully owned and controlled by Canadian institutions or associations that are 80% controlled by Canadian citizens or landed immigrants
- have effective managerial and editorial control by people domiciled in Alberta, and financial control in the hands of people living in Canada, and
- publish original Canadian books as a primary, not occasional, activity.
2. Titles must have been published between January 1 and December 31, 2017.
3. Revised editions are eligible if at least two of the following elements are included:
- significant changes in trim size or binding, or typesetting
- additions or changes to at least 20% of the text and significant graphic or illustrative changes beyond a new cover
- A description of the format and content changes, the release dates and publishers’ names for previous editions must be supplied
4. Books may be entered in more than one (1) Book of the Year Award category
5. A publisher may submit up to three (3) titles per award category.
Additional Eligibility Criteria
Publisher of the Year & Emerging Publisher of the Year ONLY
A publisher must have been in operation for at least 2 years from the date of publication of their first book, and have a minimum of 4 original Canadian books in print. No more than 25% of books in print may have been written by principals, directors or employees of the publisher. The recipient of this award in a given year will not be eligible for the award the following year.
The following are the exact criteria given to jurors for each award category; please review the specific criteria for any category before preparing your submission.
1. Submissions must be postmarked on or before February 28, 2018
2. Submissions become the property of the BPAA
3. Submission fees are non-refundable
4. Jury decisions are final; including no award in a category
The Book Publishers Association of Alberta administers the Alberta Book Publishing Awards as a service to the book publishers of Alberta and has no influence on jury deliberations and decisions. Deadlines for submission and other important dates are available on the 2018 Alberta Book Publishing Awards Google Calendar.
All submissions must include the following:
1. Completed and signed Eligibility, Conditions, and Attestation (one per publisher)
2. Completed Title Information Form (one for each title or submission)
3. Four (4) hard copies of each title be be considered for an award.
if submitting a title in multiple categories please include:
- Four (4) copies of the book for the first category
- Three (3) copies for each additional category
- Four (4) hard copies of all supporting documents
4. Submission fees (cheque or credit card)
- $35.00 per title, per category for members of the BPAA
- $50.00 per title, per category for non-members
5. Credit Card Authorization Form (if paying submission fees by credit card)
Send all submissions to:
The Book Publishers Association of Alberta
10523 100 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 0A8
The BPAA is not responsible for lost or damaged submission packages
The 2018 Alberta Book Publishing Awards Gala will be held September 14, 2018 at the Hotel Arts in Calgary, Alberta.Tickets to the gala will be available in August 2018.
For more information, help with problems or to provide feedback, contact the BPAA at (780) 424-5060 or firstname.lastname@example.org.